Wednesday, February 24, 2010

What to skip when creating a baby registry...

When I found out I was pregnant, I was excited about the prospect of creating a baby registry.

When I actually created one, I was overwhelmed. 

When you are pregnant, you get tons of advice - some solicited, some not.  A lot of people will tell you what you surely need and what you shouldn't get. 

If you have tons and tons of family who want to buy things for you and have endless resources for spending, then by all means go all out.  However, knowing what I know now there are several things that I would have changed regarding my registry that would have saved me money and been more beneficial for me:

  • Do not get a ton of "newborn" sized anything.  Get one outfit to begin with to see if it will fit.  If you get more, do NOT take off tags and wash yet because you may need to return them.  My son couldn't fit into most newborn sized items, ever.  You can always go out and get more should you need them.
  • Don't buy multiples of things unless you know for a fact that you will need/use them.  I got several swaddlers before hand because I thought surely I would use them.   When he was so little it was much easier to swaddle using receiving blankets but by the time I thought to use the actual swaddlers, he was not interested in swaddling.   I also got several different "types" of wraps or carriers....I actually only use one of them.  The rest have gone to waste.  Also I bought one type of  bottles because I thought I would like them.  I didn't.  So then I had to turn around and buy all new bottles of a different kind.
  • Do register for bigger clothes ...down the road.  You will be amazed at how quickly those kids grow.  My son is 5 months old and in some styles/brands, he is already wearing 9 month clothing.  Kids can grow into them.
  • Don't go crazy registering for too many clothes.  Some outfits never got worn by my little man.  And I quickly found out which ones I like and which ones I don't.  (Some are more user friendly....like anything with zippers as opposed to buttons).
  • You don't need 40 something activity toys.  There are so many bouncers, jumpers, walkers, exersaucers, etc. out there.  You don't need multiples of these items.  Some are good for the time being and some are good for different stages, but honestly a good deal of it is overkill.
Those are just a few suggesetions.  I guess my overall gist is that it is hard to anticipate what you and/or your baby will like and even though you want to be prepared, it isn't always the best idea to go ahead and get things. 

When in doubt, gift cards are a great way to go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment