I'm going to start a weekly post of crock pot recipes that I'm trying out. Crock pot cooking is an excellent way to get a great bang for your buck, stretch your food dollars, and also save a ton of time and energy in the kitchen.
As a new mom, it is imperative that I find ways to cut corners and costs and crock pot/slow cooker cooking is the best way that I've found to do this.
Italian Chicken Alfredo
(This is modified from this recipe found on allrecipes.com. I modified based on the ingredients I had readily available)
1 package of chicken breasts (I purchased a bunch on a buy one, get one sale and froze a bunch - these packages have approximately 3-4 good sized breasts in them)
1/2 regular bottle italian dressing (less than $1 at Aldi)
1 package spaghetti noodles or fettucini noodles (less than $1)
1 package cream cheese (I prefer the Neufchâtel lower fat alternative - generic brand is around $1)
1 can cream mushroom
oregano/parsley to season/taste
1. Cut up chicken breasts into smaller, bite size chunks. Toss in the crock pot.
2. Pour 1/2 container of dressing into the crock pot and mix.
3. Cook on low for 4 hours.
4. At 4 hours, add melted cream cheese and cream of mushroom and mix. Add parsley and oregano to taste.
5. Let sit for another hour.
6. When you are close to serving time, prepare noodles in boiled water as per directions. Prepare to your liking (ie, if you like al dente, etc.)
7. Serve chicken mixture/sauce over noodles.
If you want, you can serve with a green tossed salad.